I love a healthy breakfast that is easy to make and incredibly satisfying. This overnight chia breakfast pudding is silky, smooth, and made with light coconut milk. It is a great base to have in your fridge so you can choose every morning a new topping.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THIS LIGHT CHIA BREAKFAST PUDDING
Chia seeds contain so many health benefits and are an excellent food source for adding omega 3, fiber, protein, and extra vitamins and minerals to your diet. It is also super easy to make a bigger batch of basic chia seed pudding and use it to create your variations of breakfast, snack or desserts.
I love mixing the seeds in light coconut milk to get that creamy and silky consistency. But feel free to experiment with other liquids such as protein-rich pea milk, or different plant-based kinds of milk like almond or cashew milk. I prefer a less thick pudding consistency, so I stick with ½ cup chia seeds for about every 14 fluid ounce creamy liquid to obtain that perfect gel-like structure. Make sure always to stir well to avoid the chia to clump together. Best is to stir then let it sit a bit—for 5 minutes—and stir one more time before it goes into the fridge.
Having a good batch of basic chia pudding ready in the fridge makes preparing breakfast during the week a whole lot easier. And it stays good refrigerated for up to 5 days. If you feel that the seeds have thickened a bit too much, add some more milk to thin out the pudding again.
MY FAVORITE CHIA PUDDING TOPPINGS
Okay, so now you have that batch of chia pudding waiting for you in the fridge and all you need to do it add your favorite toppings. THE. FUN. PART. You have so many options here. Some of my favorites are
- Frozen or fresh fruits in season,
- Some extra healthy hemp seeds, sesame seeds, or nut butter—try my Maple-Coconut Homemade Peanut Butter
- Coconut shreds, chopped nuts, dried cranberries or apricots. YUM!
- Or a lovely homemade or store-bought Artisan jam. A couple of tablespoons are enough to add that sweet, mild flavor to the seeds.
You can also change the flavors by adding some vanilla or almond extract, cocoa or cinnamon powder.
Today, I am adding a soft tasting marionberry jam and banana to add a subtle sweetness to the pudding. I use hemp seeds for extra nutrition and top it off with a mix between frozen and fresh cherries. You can switch it up with a good drizzle of creamy nut butter. It is silky, lightly sweet, and has that beautiful contrasting colors that brighten your day!
AN ARTISAN JAM THAT SPREADS THE LOVE
My family loves nut butter and artisan jams. I use them a lot in many different recipes or to enjoy as a spread. I often make my homemade version (see how to make rhubarb jam and biscuits or our homemade chocolaty nut butter spread). But I buy in bulk when I see a good deal. I love the Spread The Love food products, especially their artisan berry jams, are a favorite. Their nut butter (almond and peanut butter) and jams (raspberry and marionberry) contain no unnecessary ingredients and taste deliciously creamy. Their products are also all-natural, gluten-free, dairy-free, salt-free, non-GMO, Vegan, and has no pectin or preservatives.
Spread The Love is a small family-sized and US-based food company that is committed to making real food and giving back to the community in the process. Val, one of the co-founders, is such a down to earth and sweet individual and I love her passion and commitment for creating clean food products. Through our partnership, you can now enjoy a 20% discount on all their products by using code MARISKA20 here (affiliate link.) Enjoy!
Did you make a recipe? leave a comment below or tag @mychefsapron on Instagram. I want to see your creations!
This easy recipe makes a healthy overnight chia pudding that is perfect for breakfast or post-workout snack. Load it up with your favorite toppings or some of my suggestions!
TO MAKE CHIA SEED PUDDING
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 1 (13.5 FL oz) can light coconut milk
TO MAKE CHIA SEED BREAKFAST PUDDING
- 7 tablespoons chia seed pudding
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 banana, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons Artisan Jam
- Fresh cherries or marionberries to garnish
MAKE CHIA SEED PUDDING
- Place the chia seeds in a 16-ounce mason jar. Pour the coconut milk over the seeds. Stir and combine well. Close the jar and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.
MAKE CHIA SEED BREAKFAST PUDDING
- Take a small mason jar or bowl. Cover the bottom with three tablespoons of the chia seed pudding. Continue with a layer of one tablespoon hemp seeds (optional). Divide half of the banana slices on top of the seeds, followed by two tablespoons MARIONBERRY Artisan jam. Continue layering with 2 tablespoons chia seeds pudding, the rest of the banana slices, one tablespoon MARIONBERRY Artisan jam and another 2 tablespoons chia seed pudding.
- Top it off with fresh cherries, or your favorite berries. Enjoy!