This beautiful fall soup is hearty, healthy, and incredibly easy to make. Simple ingredients come nicely together to create a creamy vegetable soup that is filling enough to serve as a full meal. Offer it in cute small bowls that contrast the beautiful yellowish fall color, and you have an excellent appetizer for big family gatherings.
This wholesome dish contains simple ingredients.
- Butternut squash and zucchini are a perfect match in this vegetable soup and add a naturally sweet taste.
- While cannellini beans offer a good source of protein, are fiber-rich and don't add a lot of extra calories.
- The aroma of garlic and the lovely fragrant of Rosemary balance the sweet flavors and make this soup incredibly hearty.
The Butternut Squash-Zucchini Soup offers sweet and savory Autumn flavors, with a creamy texture that is both comforting and satisfying!
SOUP SERVING SUGGESTIONS
This beautiful soup is quite thick in texture, which I love. But if you prefer a thinner texture then add an extra cup of water then the suggested amount. Make sure though to taste the broth and add any additional seasoning such as salt and pepper.
A bowl of Healthy Butternut Squash-Zucchini and Rosemary Soup is terrific on its own. But I often enjoy it with freshly grated Parmesan cheese (omit if you like to keep it vegan.) I love the sweet taste and nuttiness of this cheese. Another great option— and similar in texture like cheddar— is Kerrygold Dubliner cheese. It adds incredible flavor to this recipe but is much cheaper than a Parmesan cheese. You can also get it in almost any store, even at Target.
This soup tastes even better the next day. It is so easy to reheat a cup for lunch or light dinner during the week and pair it with a quick salad or farmer's bread.
Sometimes, I mix in hearty, bone (beef) or vegetable broth (to keep it vegan-friendly) which makes it a little thinner but adds extra minerals.
Change it up with a different type of garnish:
- Toasted pumpkin seeds or nuts (like chopped Brazilian or Macadamia nuts)
- a dollop of (dairy-free) sour cream
- Extra freshly-ground pepper
- Or stir in a handful of freshly chopped parsley or spinach leaves when reheating the soup the next day and simmer for a couple of minutes.
Enjoy! Let me know if you should have any questions about this recipe! I hope you will enjoy it as much as my family does.
MORE SOUP INSPIRATIONS
Hearty butternut squash and zucchini soup recipe with Rosemary, garlic, and cannellini beans. Deliciously creamy, healthy and filling! Oh, and it is also dairy-free and vegan-friendly!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large Butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 small unpeeled zucchini (about 1 pound), ends removed and cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Rosemary
- 2 cups fresh water
- 1 package or can of cooked cannellini beans (13.4 ounces or 380 grams), no salt added
- 1 cup grated aged hard cheese, plus more to garnish (optional)
- In a 5 to 6 QT pot, add olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic. Cook and stir for ten seconds to release its aroma. Stir in the vegetables. Season royally with salt, pepper, and one tablespoon of dried Rosemary. Cook and frequently stir for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the water (the water should barely cover the vegetables). Cover the pot and bring to a steady simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes and stir on occasion.
- Stir in the beans and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes or until the squash is soft. Taste the broth and season with more salt or pepper, if needed.
- Remove the pot from the stove and stir in the cheese until completely melted into the soup. With a hand mixer, puree the vegetables until you get a beautiful yellow-orange soup. Serve with extra grated cheese.