Welcome to MyChefsApron
Hi, I’m Mariska and so happy you landed here! In this space, I get to share healthy habits I have come to adopt in and outside the kitchen and simple healthy recipes, perfect for everyday cooking and made from vibrant, wholesome foods.
I hope to inspire, motivate you to cook more at home, and listen to your body when it comes to healthy living! I believe that the most significant healthy gift you can give to yourself and your family is making regularly nutrient-dense dishes in your kitchen that provide you with energy and make you feel good. To feel strong and live actively, to be able to show up for yourself and others, you first have to fuel your body with healthy, simple foods—cut out the stuff that does not serve you. Making healthy homemade meals and taking the time to care for yourself is not a luxury, but a daily gift to your beautiful self.
Your health management starts first in the kitchen. So get your chef’s apron on and unleash your intuition to cook more simple, more seasonal, and nutritious.
My philosophy: I don’t believe in restrictive diets, or that one diet fits all. Aside from our unique blueprint, there are so many factors that play a role in what your body needs on a given day, and not everybody has seasonal access to the same food. I do believe in listening to our bodies and that we should choose, as much as possible, locally and seasonally grown produce. Food should add to your wellbeing and satisfy your taste buds.
In this space, I will give you options so you can choose what works for you. And you will discover here that embracing healthy foods can be surprisingly easy. I often use basic cooking techniques, and most of my meals can be ready in less than 30 minutes, but I won’t promise that all of them will be. Cooking does not have to be complicated, and I often share how to adapt a recipe to make everyone happy in a large family. You will also find plenty of healthy treats on this site.
I genuinely love all vegetables and eat a heavy plant-based low-carb diet. You'll find mostly simple and healthy meals that I enjoy at home with my family, and that includes the occasional hearty fish or meat dish—so it’s a good flexitarian selection. You’ll also find plenty of gluten-free and vegetarian and/or vegan recipes. Some of them are Low-carb, whole 30, and Paleo-friendly while I also throw in some Mediterranean recipes as passed on to me by some excellent cooks in my family while growing up.
Please take a look at my Recipe Archive. Pick out the ones you like and make them work for you, your family, and your lifestyle. Most of my recipes are quick, simple, and perfect for busy adults and parents who want to introduce healthier choices to their family/children. Don’t hesitate to ask me questions.
I also believe in making unique dishes—with a healthy twist, of course, and leave comforting dishes and naughtier desserts for those special life celebrations. There are birthdays, holidays, and those cozy Sunday mornings when you want to enjoy something special while catching up with the ones you love. You will find these recipes here too. Enjoy!
- I was raised in a family where everyone knows how to cook a darn good meal and loves to eat. Some of them are or were chefs, caterers, and restaurant managers/owners. I inherited that passion for food and bringing people together over a home-cooked meal.
- My family and I live in NC, but I grew up in Belgium around a large Italian family, and I have Dutch roots from my mother’s side. My mom was and still is a very resourceful and incredibly talented cook and chef. I learned how to cook from her.
- For many years I worked in a fast-paced corporate environment, traveling a lot for work. I decided consciously to slow down that pace when I became pregnant. Becoming a mom sparked a passion in me and a desire to create a more balanced lifestyle. It also made me reconnect to my roots, my love for food, and creating tasty, nutritious meals that feed the soul and the body. I wanted to combine the incredible food culture I grew up with with what I have learned over the years about maintaining a nutritious, balanced diet. Mainly as some ingredients no longer served me in maintaining a strong body and a healthy mind as I entered the 40s.
- I have a great love for books and continuously learn new things about life and people. I also love to absorb further information, especially about nutrition, health in general, and fitness. The latter is my moving meditation. And I believe today I am stronger than ever. Over the years, I have grown passionate about working out, and sometimes I prefer to create my workout sessions. I like to challenge my body and build strength and endurance.
- I love sharing anything that has helped my family and me and can nurture your life even beyond nutrition: detox, homemade treatments, natural solutions, remedies, simple products I love, mindfulness. On occasion, I write about these things too. I am always open to exploring new things and love sharing these experiences with you. You can find these articles under “Wellness.”
- My approach to a healthy lifestyle is simple: it is about making choices and taking small yet active steps toward a more healthy, happy, and fulfilling life.
- I am a lawyer turned Business consultant, and now also a blogger. If you want to find out more about my professional background, click here.
I love hearing from you! I always appreciate it when you let me know how you’ve enjoyed or adapted the recipes or incorporated a healthy habit that made you happier, more energetic, healthier! Your feedback helps me make this a better site! If you like what you find on my blog, please subscribe to my Monthly Newsletter and connect with me via social media, so you can receive regular updates and don’t miss out on the latest going-on at MyChefsApron.
- You can find me on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook.
- You can also contact me via my contact form or by commenting on one of my recipes.
- Don't forget to subscribe to my monthly newsletter!
Start by making these delicious flourless brownies because they will brighten your day. Enjoy!