This hearty and creamy vegetable soup is a slight twist to my Pea Soup with Cilantro and Pistachios. It is such a simple, healthy recipe, but one you will come to rely on whenever you need a comforting meal that quickly comes together!
This soup is perfect when it is a bit chilly outside, and you crave for something warm and hearty. I love drinking a hot cup of this green goodness after a beautiful long hike to restore my energy and comfort my body. But you can also pack the soup for lunch or enjoy it as a light dinner with roasted vegetables on the side, a salad or slices of dark farmers bread.
THE MAIN INGREDIENTS IN THIS PROTEIN-RICH VEGAN PEA SOUP
Frozen peas: I use frozen peas out of convenience, but this also means that you can make this beautiful green dish any time of the year. They are naturally sweet, and they also don't have to be boiled. In less than 10 minutes, their creamy texture and natural flavors arise.
Pistachios: pistachios pair well with peas. For this recipe, I use roasted and lightly salted ones. This colorful nut not only packs this soup with healthy fats and proteins, but it makes it incredibly creamy.
Shallots: I always have a few shallots in my kitchen, because they add richness to almost any dish. Although they are part of the onion family, their flavors are more distinct and very different from a regular white, red or yellow onion. They are sweeter, softer, and when cooked for a couple of minutes with garlic in olive oil, they add an incredibly hearty taste to the soup.
Fresh Parsley: I am not using this plant just for the presentation. This vitamin K-rich herb brings a beautiful balance to all the sweet flavors in this soup. I love cooking with parsley and often use it as a vegetable to add nutrients, a vivid contrast, and a finishing touch.
Vegetable broth: you can easily replace it with water and add a vegetable bouillon into the soup instead. But I often have vegetable broth in my pantry, and it instantly adds extra flavor. I use one (32 fl ounces) pack, which is about 4 cups total and add one cup of water to submerge the vegetables.
Vegetable Broth and Seasoning: adding a tad of this naturally powdered broth mix makes all the difference. It is gluten-free, contains no meat, no eggs, no dairy, but yet is a great flavor enhancer without any artificial junk. It is another great item to have in your pantry for seasoning delicious dishes like this one.
See what is in my pantry to make this soup:
MORE COMFORTING DISHES YOU'LL LOVE
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 or 4 shallots, chopped (about 5.5 ounces or 155 grams)
- ½ cup pistachios
- Salt and pepper
- ½ bushel parsley (about 1 to 1 ½ cups chopped)
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 4 cups vegetable broth (32 fl ounces or 946 ml)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Broth and Seasoning (I use Vegetable Broth and Seasoning from Seitenbacher)
- In a stockpot (minimum 5 QT), heat the oil over medium heat. Add in garlic, shallots, and nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes; do not allow to brown.
- Stir in the parsley and the peas. Immediately add the vegetable broth and water. Season to taste with salt, pepper and vegetable seasoning. Let come to a gentle simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the peas are ready. Stir occasionally.
- Turn the stove off and let the soup cool a little. With a hand mixer (or transfer into a blender), blend the ingredients until you have pureed all the ingredients. Reheat, if necessary, before serving.