This delicious plant-based pasta dish is incredibly easy to make. The creamy pumpkin sauce is loaded with veggies such as onion and spinach and infused with dried sage and marjoram. It is perfect for a hearty yet quick weeknight dinner (family size) or for when you have friends over! Enjoy as-is or with a large salad on the side!
Yes, it is the season where you see pumpkins everywhere. And every year, I always gladly welcome this vegetable back into my kitchen. I also recently stocked up on packs of pumpkin purees that were on sale. Usually, they end up in soups, stews, or desserts. But this time, I was craving for a pasta dish. Although the sauce is super easy to make, the flavors don't disappoint. It is creamy, filled with tender sweet pieces of onions, packed with quickly wilted spinach, and topped off with dried sage and marjoram—a perfect balance to sweet-savory flavors.
MAKE A SMALLER PORTION OF THE VEGAN PUMPKIN PASTA DISH
This vegan pumpkin pasta dish serves a larger family or group of people. But just in case you want to make dinner for two or yourself (with some leftovers), then all you need to do is make a few adjustments.
- Cook one 12-ounce pack of pasta instead of two and use only 3-quarts of water for boiling;
- Use only one 16-ounce package of pumpkin puree—unless you like the extra sauce;
- Decide for yourself how much spinach you want in this dish. I would lower it to 2 or 3 cups packed.
- Taste test when adding the dried herbs. Start with a tablespoon of sage and ½ tablespoon of dried marjoram.
- Keep the rest of the ingredients the same;
- The coconut cream is optional. But just adding a tad makes the sauce super silky.
MORE PASTA OR POTATO DISHES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- A HEALTHY AND GLUTEN-FREE VEGETABLE PASTA
- SWEET AND SPICY RED PASTA SAUCE WITH CREAMY CANNELLINI BEANS
- ONE HEARTY VEGETABLE STEW RECIPE
- OVEN-BAKED POTATOES WITH JAMAICAN CURRY AND CARAWAY FRUITS
If you make this, make sure to tag your photos with #mychefsapron on Instagram so that I can see! Or PIN IT for later and follow me on Pinterest to see what other fun things I share. Don’t forget to subscribe to my monthly newsletter! Enjoy!
- 2 (12 ounces/340 grams) packs brown rice pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 to 5 packed cups of chopped spinach
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (16 ounces/454 grams) packs organic pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoons coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons dried sage
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- Fill a large pot with 4 to 5 quarts of water and bring to a rolling boil (to cook the pasta). Add salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion. Cook and stir for 5 minutes and until the onion is translucent, not browned.
- Add the spinach. Cook and stir for one minute or until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Change the heat to the lowest setting. Then stir in the pumpkin puree and coconut cream. Season with sage and marjoram.
- Change the heat to medium-low. Cook and stir for a few minutes, or until the sauce is sufficiently warm. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta when ready and transfer to a large serving bowl. Pour the pumpkin sauce over the hot pasta noodles. Stir until everything is well combined. Serve immediately while still hot!