Serve these healthy and juicy Italian seasoned turkey burgers, topped with Asiago cheese. Pair it with a simple salad for a low carb dinner or make a Turkey biscuit sandwich with my homemade biscuits recipe! It is finger-licking good!
TURKEY BURGERS (MAKE IT LOW CARB OR KETO-FRIENDLY)
I love a good turkey burger, especially when they are juicy. This recipe is straightforward to make and ready in no time. They are also made with simple Italian-style seasonings and flavors you will love.
There are only 8 ingredients:
- Ground turkey meat: ground turkey breast is very lean meat (90%) while ground thighs (or drumsticks) has a higher fat percentage. I always get a 50/50 mix of the two because you want a decent ratio of fats in your meat to avoid dry burgers.
- Shallot and garlic: you can always count on this sweet onion and herb to add incredible flavor. I mix them in the meat, and I also cook and stir one garlic in some olive oil to release their aroma before the burgers go in. It creates a great flavor.
- Simple additional herbs like salt, black pepper, and Rosemary make turkey burgers shine. They also get mixed in the meat when making the patties and then I adjust the seasoning to my taste once the burgers are sizzling in the skillet.
- Asiago cheese and olive oil: Asiago cheese adds a mild nutty flavor to the meat mixture and tossing a bit of healthy olive oil in the skillet first makes the burgers cook evenly.
Note: When you shape the burgers, don't overhandle the meat mixture because it does have an impact on the juiciness when cooked. Just briefly knead in the ingredients, then lightly either wet or oil the hands to form the patties.
Pair it with a salad or healthy vegetable side dishes:
This is an incredible flavored burger that is ready under 30 minutes. If you want to keep it low-carb or Keto-friendly, then serve with a large green salad or a vegetable side dish. Here are a couple of great options:
- Sweet Kale-Apple Salad with Creamy Avocado Pesto
- The Creamiest Healthy Mashed Cauliflower
- A Super Comforting Healthy Brussels Sprouts Side Dish
- Sweet and Hearty Oven-roasted Baby Bok Choy
SERVE ON HOMEMADE BISCUITS
Okay, there is something incredibly comforting about a turkey biscuit sandwich, especially when homemade. The whole family loves this dish, yes even the kiddos. I have an easy biscuit recipe for you—gluten-free. The biscuits are made with a sweet compote, but if you don't have any on hand, you can substitute it for your favorite store-bought jam (berry jam is another option.) When the biscuits come out of the oven, let cool for a couple of minutes. Then go ahead and slice them open and top each one with:
- ¼ tsp olive oil
- Thin Asiago cheese slices
- a turkey burger
Now that's Italian-style! The biscuits have a slightly sweet flavor with hints of fresh Rosemary that pairs beautifully with the savory turkey burgers (just like sweet cranberry sauce goes well with stuffed Turkey.) YUM!
Healthy Italian Seasoned Turkey Burgers on BiscuitsMariska Ramondino
- 2 pounds ground Turkey Breast
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves finely chopped and divided
- 1 cup hard grated Asiago Cheese plus more to garnish
- 2 teaspoon chopped fresh Rosemary
- 2 tablespoon salt plus more
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus more to garnish
- Place the meat in a large bowl. With your fist, make a dent in the middle of the meat. Add the shallot, one chopped garlic, one cup cheese, Rosemary, 2 teaspoons of salt, and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Use your hands to combine all the ingredients. Divide the mixture into 8 or 10 equally-sized pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Use the palms of your hands to fatten the meat balls into burger patties.
- Coat the bottom of a large skillet with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and heat over medium heat. Cook and stir one chopped garlic for 10 seconds. Then cook the turkey burgers on both sides for 5 minutes or until cooked through and slightly browned on both sides. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with a large Italian-style salad (low-carb) or place on homemade biscuits, garnished with extra Asiago cheese slices and ¼ tsp olive oil.
Add your own private notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
Nutrition (% Daily value)
Disclaimer: This nutritional data is calculated using third party tools and is only intended as a reference.