These oven-baked potatoes are accompanied by sweet carrots and heavenly seasoned with Jamaican curry powder and caraway fruits. A simple dish that you can serve as a side or as a light plant-based dinner when combined with a raw green salad and hummus. It is also the ultimate healthy comfort food to make during Holidays or dinner parties.
I often make this dish when I bring home a lot of potatoes and carrots from my local farmers market—two vegetables that pair well together. Yukon potatoes are perfect for this recipe. Because, when baked with some olive oil, they become crispy on the outside and stay wonderfully soft on the inside.
HOW TO MAKE OVEN-BAKED POTATOES DELICIOUS
It's all in the spices and a good quality olive oil! You can't go wrong with simple seasonings like rosemary, salt, and adding flavor with garlic. But what makes this dish unique is the Jamaican style curry powder and the caraway fruits. The curry here is not that spicy since it is more of a mixture of turmeric, salt, and dehydrated onions. But it adds a lot of extra flavors that can also work for kids' taste buds.
If you don't have this type of curry on hand, then simply replace it with one tablespoon of turmeric powder and one tablespoon of white onion powder (optional).
Caraway fruits are probably best known for its added flavor in rye bread or certain desserts. I even have tasted it in certain cheeses and, of course, sauerkraut. But it is also surprisingly tasty when used with potatoes, especially combined with root or bulb vegetables like carrots and garlic. Dried caraway look like seeds, but are dried fruits and is part of the parsley family. I even use it in my kitchen in certain stews and soups. It gives a warm and earthy flavor—almost fennel or anise-like, but much milder and sweeter. It is also known for stimulating digestion.
The overall taste of this dish is earthy, warm, sweet, and mildly peppery.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS—OVEN-BAKED POTATOES
This is a delicious and comforting side dish and not just for weeknight dinners. It can quickly become part of your Holiday table—think Thanksgiving, Christmas—and pairs well with almost anything. Serve with some fresh Rosemary on the side, and you have yourself a festive vegetable dish that everyone will love.
Also, explore with some other root vegetables. Maybe add quartered yellow onions or golden beets to the mix instead of only carrots.
MORE VEGETABLE DISHES YOU MIGHT LIKE
- Roasted Asparagus with Buttered Shallots and Garlic Scapes
- A Super Healthy and Comforting Brussels Sprouts Side Dish
- Creamy Mushroom Mozzarella Sauce
- Quick-Braised Fennel with Sweet Peaches and Almonds
Delicious oven-baked potatoes with carrots and heavenly seasoned with Jamaican curry and caraway fruits. A perfect plant-based side dish for (Holiday) dinner—gluten-free!
- 14 medium-sized Yukon potatoes, peeled
- 12 small carrots, thoroughly washed or 6 large carrots, chopped roughly same size as potato wedges
- ½ cup olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic, peeled, crushed and shredded into smaller pieces
- 2 fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons Jamaican curry
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon caraway fruits
- Preheat the oven to 375 ℉/ 190 ℃. Cut the potatoes lengthwise into eight pieces. For larger potatoes, cut the thicker pieces further into half to obtain about the same size. For the carrots, leave the smallest whole and cut thicker roots lengthwise in half.
- Place the vegetables in a large bowl and pour the olive oil over. Add the shredded garlic, the needles of the rosemary leaves, Jamaican curry, salt, and caraway fruits. Toss everything until the vegetables are equally coated and have a beautiful yellow color from the curry.
- Divide the seasoned vegetables over a large baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 55 to 60 minutes. They will be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.