Sometimes you need a little sweet treat, and then you will be happy having these lip-smacking coconut bites in your fridge.
With only 5 ingredients, you get 22 little bites to savor as a healthy snack or a no-bake dessert.
It's the perfect amount to tame that sweet tooth monster lurking inside you! All it takes is 10 minutes of prep time and let the fridge do the rest.
How I love these dark chocolate coconut bites. They're a true delight, especially with a cup of tea or coffee.
They're like my healthy energy balls with oats - an effortless recipe that produces a large number of easy snacks with the right amount of sweetness.
The coconut mixture has a subtle pistachio twist and is lightly coated with melted chocolate. Trust me. They're so good and one of our favorite healthy treats.
So what are you waiting for? Let's make them!
Why You Should Make Crunchy Coconut Bites
- Easy & Quick: The whole thing comes together with simple ingredients in a small amount of time.
- Deliciously satisfying: It's a creative snack that satisfies your chocolate cravings with delicious nutty coconut flavor.
- The perfect snack or sweet treat: Enjoy them as energy bites, a quick snack on the go, or as a dessert with your next meal.
Ingredients & Notes
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Desiccated coconut: Go for unsweetened fine shredded coconut flakes. You mostly likely find them in the baking aisle. Make sure coconut is the only ingredient with no other additives.
Coconut oil: You'll need to melt any solid coconut oil briefly. It's a key ingredient to have these chocolate and coconut bites firm up and become stable in the freezer.
Chocolate chips: Go for dark chocolate. Milk chocolate would be too sweet here. I love the no-sugar-added dark chocolate baking chips from Lily's.
Pistachios: Go for salted and roasted nuts. They add a subtle nutty pistachio flavor and a tint of green color, and you even can add one in the middle for a crunchy surprise.
Have any pistachios left? Use them to make this healthy, hearty pea and pistachio soup. It's creamy, nutritious, and delicious.
How to Make This Perfect Sweet Treat
See the full recipe with measurements in the recipe card.
Step 1: In a food processor or blender, briefly pulse coconut shreds and nuts into a coconut meal mix (a few seconds). Transfer the coconut mixture to a mixing bowl.
Step 2: Add melted coconut oil and maple syrup.
Step 3: Stir until you get a sticky paste.
Step 4: Spoon into a small ice cube tray. Freeze for 30 minutes.
Step 5: Place the coconut bites on parchment paper. Dip the bottom of each bite into melted chocolate. Place back on the parchment paper.
Step 6: With a dipped fork or teaspoon, drizzle the remaining melted chocolate over the coconut bites by quickly moving back and forth.
Step 7: Place back into the fridge for a few minutes—enjoy.
- Avoid blending or pulsing the shredded coconut and pistachios for too long. Otherwise, you will get a coconut paste. Pulse just enough to get the consistency of almost coarse coconut flour or meal (a few seconds only).
- Add one teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate when melting. It will give it a glossy look.
- Freeze the coconut bites for 30 minutes (no longer), so they harden enough to handle the melted chocolate.
- Afterward, keep them in the fridge, not the freezer. Otherwise, it will make the coconut bites too hard.
- Use a dipped fork or dipped teaspoon to help create zig-zagging chocolate streaks.
- For a surprise element, add an extra pistachio nut or chocolate chips in the middle while pressing the coconut mixture into the ice cube tray.
Keep them in the fridge in an airtight storage container for up to two weeks.
Yes. Keep them in a small storage container at room temperature (they won't melt). You can take them to work or as a weekend snack to the park.
All you need to do is make these chocolate-covered coconut bites and enjoy them with your favorite hot beverage or try my cold brew coffee recipe or this healthy coffee smoothie during warmer seasons.
Don't forget to subscribe to my Monthly Newsletter!
Your shares and ratings are valuable to me and so much appreciated. It'll help me create more content you and others can enjoy!
Healthy coconut bites with chocolate and pistachiosMariska Ramondino
- 1 blender or food processor
- 1 ice cube tray Make sure yours is large enough to make 22 treats or use multiple trays.
- 2 ½ cups desiccated coconut (unsweetened fine shredded coconut) 195 grams
- ½ cup roasted and salted pistachios 70 grams
- 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup 75 ml
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted 70 grams (plus one teaspoon)
- ¼ cup dark chocolate baking chips About 40 grams
- Add coconut shreds and nuts in a blender or food processor. Pulse for a few seconds until you get the consistency of coarse flour.2 ½ cups desiccated coconut (unsweetened fine shredded coconut), ½ cup roasted and salted pistachios
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the maple syrup and melted coconut oil.4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- Stir to combine until you get a sticky and slightly greenish coconut mixture.
- Spoon the coconut mixture into individual cubes of an ice cube tray until completely full. Make sure to press the mixture down with your finger after each spoon to create a solid and compact treat.
- Place in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.
- Remove treats from the freezer. They should be hard enough to release them from the ice cube trays and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate chips with one teaspoon of coconut oil. Melt over a low heat setting. Stir until smooth.¼ cup dark chocolate baking chips
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and place next to the coconut bites on the parchment paper. Make sure to use a trivet mat under the saucepan.
- One by one, dip the bottom of the coconut bites generously into the melted chocolate and place them back on the parchment paper.
- Then use a dipped teaspoon or fork to drizzle the rest of the melted chocolate over the coconut bites using sweeping motions (go back and forth with your hand to create small zig-zagging lines).
- Place the chocolate covered coconut bites in the fridge for a few minutes to harden. Then enjoy!
- Don't over-pulse the shredded coconut and pistachios in the blender. Otherwise, you will get a coconut paste. Pulse just enough to get the consistency of almost coarse coconut flour or meal ( a few seconds).
- Add one teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate when melting. It will give the melted chocolate a glossy look.
- Freeze the coconut bites for 30 minutes (no longer) to harden enough to handle the melted chocolate.
- I prefer to melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over the stove, but you could do the same in a microwave for about 20 to 30 seconds. Stir halfway through.
- Storage: Keep them in the fridge in an airtight storage container for up to two weeks.
- You can take these treats on the go or to work. Place them in a storage container and keep them at least at room temperature.
Add your own private notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
Nutrition (% Daily value)
Disclaimer: This nutritional data is calculated using third party tools and is only intended as a reference.