This satisfying meal is super easy to make and is a perfect go-to high-protein vegan lunch or dinner for those busy weekdays. You will love this hearty dish that is ready in less than 30 minutes with only 9 ingredients—including the toppings.
I used to live in Miami for about five years—thoroughly enjoyed it—and there is no shortage of mom-and-pop eateries that offer incredible Latin-flavored bowls. Plantains are a staple in many of these dishes, and I grew to love this fruit. It is often mistaken for a vegetable because it needs to be cooked for consumption. I have eaten them baked, fried, and boiled when mashed in Mofongo—one of my favorite Puerto Rican dishes. They taste deliciously sweet when cooked ripened or savory when still in their green taste.
But ripe plantains are my favorite because they caramelize when fried and with a dash of salt and other spices can create this sweet, savory experience that I love so much.
HOW TO MAKE THIS HEALTHY PLANTAIN-EDAMAME VEGAN BOWL
The base of this recipe is sliced ripened plantains with thawed shelled edamame beans pan-fried in olive oil and garlic. The plantains are cooked until they have that sweet, crispy texture on the outside and soft on the inside. You can opt to season with only salt and pepper, but I highly recommend the turmeric. This aromatic spice has a more pungent earth-like taste and nicely balances the sweetness of the cooked bananas. It also adds that beautiful looking yellowish color to the dish, like saffron.
MY FAVORITE TOPPINGS TO COMPLETE THIS BOWL
- creamy avocado
- cherry or black cherry tomatoes
- Dried Rosemary
I add just a tad of dried Rosemary on top when the dish is still hot and immediately toss it through the plantains. Its slightly woodsy and pungent taste again balance the flavors and make it a deliciously sweet-savory meal.
It is always a great recipe for when you want to give your family or friends a hearty, satisfying meal that quickly comes together and is on the table fast.
If you are into plantains and love quick dishes, check out my Healthy and Quick Post Workout Breakfast, which is also a great lunch option.
Enjoy my friends!
Make this delicious and healthy vegan bowl recipe with protein-rich edamame beans and sweet sautéed plantains. Quick, healthy and incredibly satisfying!
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 package (12-ounce/340 grams) frozen shelled edamame beans, thawed
- 4 ripe plantains, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 handful cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- dried Rosemary to garnish
- In a large skillet, heat four tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic. Cook and stir the garlic for about 10 seconds.
- Add the beans and the plantain slices. Season with Turmeric, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook and stir for 10 to 15 minutes or until plantains are soft and browned. Add two tablespoons olive oil or more, if needed, halfway through to prevent from drying.
- Serve in bowls. Add tomatoes and avocado on top or the side. Garnish with dried Rosemary.