Lusciously creamy, nicely seasoned with fresh herbs, and sweet with a touch of honey, this whipped ricotta recipe is an irresistible crowd-pleaser for any gathering or dinner party.
It's also one of the easiest appetizers to make. With just a handful of ingredients and 5 minutes to spare, you've got yourself a wonderful spread or delicious dip.
Like my Italian Pepper Spread, Creamy Parsley and Anchovy Spread, or Fig Tapenade, this easy whipped ricotta recipe is one of the many small plates that regularly show up on the table with family or friends gatherings.
But the best part of this delicious appetizer is its versatility. Serve it on a cheese board or Mediterranean platter as part of a dinner party spread, or simply enjoy a small bite with pita chips, garlic crostini, or even Italian mini doughnuts for a sweeter nibble.
It can be a spread, a creamy dip, or an indulgent snack. The balance of sweet honey, fresh herbs, tangy lemon zest, and a hint of spice is what makes it a favorite small dish to start any meal.
It's also one of the easiest recipes. Let's make it!
Ingredients & Notes
See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Here's what you need to make seasoned whipped ricotta with honey.
- Whole milk ricotta cheese: The star ingredient, offering a rich and creamy texture. You can use store-bought ricotta or homemade ricotta if you have any.
- Honey: A drizzle of honey sweetens the dish perfectly, or even hot honey for a spicy kick can work. I love dark, raw honey for this simple recipe.
- Fresh herbs: I love using fresh thyme or sage leaves for a hint of earthiness.
- Lemon zest: Adds a refreshing citrus note and a balancing touch.
- Extra virgin olive oil: A drizzle of olive oil creates a smooth texture and aromatic touch.
- Seasonings: You'll need a touch of sea salt and red pepper flakes or dried chili flakes to taste.
- Crunchy pistachios: Although optional, they provide a buttery and slightly sweet crunch.
How To Make It
See the full recipe with exact measurements in the recipe card.
Here's how to make this whipped ricotta with honey recipe.
Step One (Picture 1 above) - In a food processor or using a stand or hand mixer, blend the whole milk ricotta with half of the amount of thyme, half of the amount of honey, lemon zest, and the rest of the seasoning.
Step Two (Picture 2 above) - Keep blending until it reaches a smooth texture.
Step Three (Picture 3 above) - Transfer to a serving bowl or a shallow bowl and garnish with remaining fresh herbs, pistachios, and a drizzle of honey.
- If using a hand or stand mixer, mix on a medium speed to get that smooth whipped ricotta texture. It might take about two minutes.
- Serve at room temperature for the best flavor.
- Pita bread, crusty bread, sourdough bread, garlic crostini, or fresh vegetables are all great options.
- Instead of pistachios, you can also top the creamy ricotta dip with pomegranate arils for a different texture.
- Make it part of a Mediterranean platter to add creamy and seasoned sweetness to the savory dishes. It also pairs beautifully with quick spiced apricot jam.
- This is also one of our favorite dippers to flavor our Italian doughnuts on a dessert table.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It's not ideal for freezing as it may alter the creamy texture.
More Recipes You Might Like
Don't forget to subscribe to my Monthly Newsletter!
Your shares and ratings are valuable to me and so much appreciated. It'll help me create more content you and others can enjoy!
This whipped ricotta with honey recipe is more than just an easy appetizer; it's a testament to how simple ingredients can create a magical bite.
And because it only takes 5 minutes to make, it can be a last-minute appetizer to impress at your next gathering or serve for the New Year celebrations or a cozy dinner party. Enjoy!
Seasoned Whipped Ricotta With Honey RecipeMariska Ramondino
- 1 (stand) mixer or food processor
- Add ricotta cheese, crushed pepper flakes, salt, half of the honey, half of the thyme, and lemon zest to a food processor or a bowl of a stand mixer.15 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese, ¼ teaspoon crushed chili or red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Whip until smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Place the whipped and seasoned ricotta cheese in a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining honey and season with the remaining freshly chopped thyme.
- Garnish: Top with pistachios and extra virgin olive oil.1 tablespoon pistachios, 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Add your own private notes
Whenever you come back to this recipe, you’ll be able to see your notes.
Nutrition (% Daily value)
Disclaimer: This nutritional data is calculated using third party tools and is only intended as a reference.