Halloween is one of these holidays where you are allowed to play with your food. Whether you have a costume party or go trick-or-treating down the streets, this easy recipe is fun to make. And it will get you into the Halloween spirit. Let's face it; even the creepiest creatures want to enjoy a comforting dish on a dark, cold evening! We also have the perfect dessert with our Too Cute Bloody Ax Mascarpone Cookies. Well, you might not get rid of your Halloween creatures.
Our surrounding neighborhoods go utterly crazy with Halloween decorations. It is spooky and sometimes over-the-top creepy. But it is so fun to see how beautiful homes and yards transform into graveyards or haunted houses. There is, of course, lots of candy for the children, but you also have cookouts or spooky drinks for the adults. We usually pair up with other families to go trick-or-treating and have a quick bite—such as this one—before we explore the streets at dusk.
A QUICK RICE NOODLE RECIPE
This recipe quickly comes together but has all the delightful flavors of a simple noodle dish.
- I use Pad Thai Black Rice noodles from Lotus Foods because they are gluten-free, made from organic black rice, and ready in 5 minutes. They also have a pleasant chewy texture as long as you don't overcook them. Their color is, of course, perfect for a Halloween dinner.
- Butter or coconut oil. Use the latter if you want to keep it vegan-friendly. You only need a little to release the aroma of the garlic and onions.
- Red bell pepper and turmeric add that reddish color, contrasting nicely with the black rice noodles. But the sweet bell peppers also add tons of extra flavor and a nice crunchy texture while turmeric adds a pungent gingery taste.
- Make it a complete dish by adding your favorite ingredients. Want to keep it vegan-friendly? Then add one cup of frozen peas, that you quickly thaw under running water and then cook with the bell pepper. Sprinkle raw shelled hempseeds on top before serving. Otherwise, stir in three beaten eggs at the end to the noodles-vegetable dish and cook until fluffy.
Don't you love those Halloween themed food boxes? You can find them for sale in crafts supplies stores in October. Want to make your design on Chinese takeout boxes? Here is a lovely downloadable PDF to either trace or glue your scary faces—kids love this DIY Halloween project.
Did you make the recipe? Tag @mychefsapron on Instagram. I want to see your creations and your costumes!
This is an easy and delicious rice noodle recipe for Halloween. It is super simple to make, comes together in no time, yet black noodles are a fun addition to a spooky Halloween table. Enjoy served in your favorite Halloween dishes or Halloween takeout boxes!
- 2 (8 ounces) black Pad Thai Rice Noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter or coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 2 teaspoons turmeric powder, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 eggs, beaten and seasoned with salt and pepper, or one cup of frozen peas, or raw shelled hemp seeds (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil, according to package instructions (about 8 - 10 quarts for two packages). Add noodles and boil for about 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Melt butter or coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and the onions. Cook and stir for one minute. Add the bell pepper and peas (optional). Season the vegetables with one teaspoon turmeric, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook and stir for 7 to 10 minutes, or until bell pepper is just tender.
- Add the noodles and season with the remaining turmeric and salt, and pepper to taste. Drizzle the olive oil over the noodles. Continue to cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes and until all the noodles are well combined with the vegetables. Optional: at the beaten eggs to the noodles-vegetable dish and cook until fluffy.
- Remove from the stove and let it cool a little. Serve in Halloween take out boxes!
- Optional: Stir in some hemp seeds before serving.